One of my favorite destinations in Venezuela is Margarita Island. I like to visit it and take some pictures of the beautiful places every year, so I have a series of photos and experiences to share with you. My blog post today is about general aspects of the Caribbean island, then I will be writing separate articles for those places I have visited.
Margarita has been Venezuela's international tourist destination par excellence. Despite the Venezuelan economic crisis, the island receives tourists attracted by the beautiful landscapes and the variety of recreational activities, It is known as the Pearl of the Caribbean and it is synonymous with enjoyment, beach, fine food and of course shopping.
Margarita belongs to the Nueva Esparta State, it is located in the Caribbean Sea, northeast of Venezuela.
How do I get to Margarita Island?
- Airplane: It is the most expensive, comfortable, fast option. All flights to Margarita arrive at Santiago Mariño International Airport and they usually depart from the Venezuelan capital: Caracas. There are flights from other cities, but they are less frequent.
- Ferry: This is a cheap, convenient option if you want to tour the island in your car. In my case, it is the best option, because I like to go to different places during the same day. The ferries leave from La Guaira (center of the country) and from Guanta, Anzoátegui in the east. The first one is a navigation of approximately 7 hours and the second one is 3 hours.
- Boat (Peñero): The shortest, cheapest, but also least safe trip. I think it's the least recommended option, in fact I haven't experienced this trip, they are very small boats and the departure is from a remote place: Chacopata, Sucre. The advantage is the travel time of 40 minutes and the boat reaches the city center in Polarmar. If you dare, don't hesitate to tell me about your experience.
Definitely YES! Margarita is a tax-free zone, so prices are usually unbeatable compared to the rest of the country. There are several shopping malls and popular shopping areas.
The most popular items are liquor, perfume, clothing and shoes.
What you must eat in Margarita?
There are many options. Margarita has gastronomic variety and restaurants known for their quality, you can choose from elegant places, restaurant on the beach, food fairs and much more.
The food par excellence on the island is seafood, lobsters, fish soup paellas and fried fish with by "tostones" which are small slices of green bananas flattened and fried.
You can't leave Margarita without tasting the delicious empanadas. Don't think about the calories, enjoy the empanadas!
Best Beaches in Margarita
The most famous beach on the island is Playa El Agua which is approximately 4 km long, with white sand, palm trees, blue waters and moderate waves. It's a beauty!
The neighbouring beaches are also very popular. For example Playa Parguito is similar in terms of waves and color, it is smaller than Playa El Agua. Parguito is frequented by young people who are looking for music and fun.
If you prefer calm beaches closer to the city center, then I recommend the Bahía de Pampatar area.
Near the airport is located Playa El Yaque, it is the favorite for Windsurfing and Kitesurfing, it also has different hotels with access to the beach.
Towards the Peninsula de Macanao, far from the city is located Playa Punta Arenas, it is amazing, but access is difficult.
- Make sure to contact authorized travel agencies for your reservations.
- Use only official taxis.
- The island is safer than the rest of the country, but don't get too confident, make sure you only visit tourist sites during daylight hours.
- If your stay is short with an all-inclusive hotel package, travel by plane. The ferry journey is usually long and tiring.
- If you want to explore the island, use your car and go by ferry. You can also rent a car there. The places of interest in Margarita are far from each other and public transport is not recommended.
If you have questions, don't hesitate to write me comments. In my next posts, I will give more details of the places mentioned.
Nikon Coolpix S9600 camera.